'FURIOUS': FOOD POISONING OUTBREAK INFLICTS CHAOS IN ACAPULCO
- Christian Montegan
- Feb 28
- 2 min read

A "furious" Holger Rune had no option but to pull out of Mexico's Acapulco Open due to food poisoning, which also impacted two top-10 players.
Trailing 0-3 in the first set to Brandon Nakashima in the round of 16 having won just four points, Rune pulled the pin by withdrawing from the contest.
"Furious and so sad at the same time," the Dane world No.14 said on X.
"Had a food poisoning and was unable to play today. One of my favourite places is Mexico and I love this tournament @AbiertoTelcel. Absolutely not the way I wanted it to end."
By entering the code TFS2025 you will receive 15% off the RRP on all non-sale items at our online store at www.racquetworld.com.au
Three-time Grand Slam finalist Casper Ruud withdrew before taking the court, as he explained his decision.
"I’m so sorry I had to pull out tonight," said last year's runner-up. "I was hoping to overcome this stomach illness that showed up yesterday and tried everything I could to be able to play tonight, until the very last moment.
"Hoping to come back stronger in a couple of days and come back here to Mexico next year. Thanks for now, Acapulco."
American Tommy Paul also failed to appear on court before his scheduled match against Marcos Giron for the same reason.
Play USA Tennis Pathways supports athletes who want to go down the college pathway, assisting players to get recruited to a college that meets their academic and athletic goals. If you are a player, parent, or coach and are interested in the college pathway in the United States, contact Lachlan Puyol at playusatennispathways@gmail.com

Comments